IK Logo

Vista As a OEM OS On an HP

Computer or software related discussion.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

Mon 01 Dec, 2008 1:39 pm

• A friend of mine recently bought an HP ( dont ask me why ) with Vista Home on it. They hate it, it eats all there resources ( with no surprise ) and they wanna dump it and add XP on it. The damn thing wont allow it since XP's an older OS then Vista.

Other then getting a new hard drive, is there a way to make it go away?

( personally I kinda like how purrrrrdy Vista is but networking with it is a pain in the ass )

Any ideas on how to kill Vista?

I can add the missing drivers for the HP since it doesn't have alot of Etras ( another surprise, lol ) that came with the system........

{§ÎR}stråyçåt {§ÎR}stråyçåt {§ÎR}stråyçåt {§ÎR}stråyçåt
    {§ÎR}stråyçåt
    Knight

Mon 01 Dec, 2008 7:15 pm

• {§ÎR}stråyçåt wrote:Any ideas on how to kill Vista?

Yup......bury it in the back yard.....and get a Macintosh. :)

You're gonna have to wipe the drive (maybe repartition) and hope HP has XP drivers for it.
    Strider
    Page

Mon 01 Dec, 2008 7:23 pm

• /me loads a half-ton of C-4.

FLASH!

stay tuned...........

{§ÎR}stråyçåt
    Knight

Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:53 pm

• Hi stray
    what you need to do is get all the drivers that you will need for xp from HP's site then you will need to burn these on a cd or dvd. next with the xp cd you will need to boot the computer with the xp cd in the cd-rom and erase and install xp on it. after you do that install the drivers then windows updates and all of the software you want to install on it
    Be ready to spend a couple of hours working on it.
    good luck
    {§ÎR}Wéåpøñ-X
    Knight

Wed 03 Dec, 2008 11:48 am

• I had a better idea, since HP drivers are kinda hard to get ( I get links to Driver Detective and I have a full working copy of it ) I decided just to use a pre formattet HD to see how it goes.

Note to HP buyers:

Dont waste your money, over priced and stripped down to the max. 2 PCI ports and 1 PCIe port. And, get this, it came with a 250W power supply, not even enough to power a cheap PCIe Vcard.

Rippoffs........

{§ÎR}stråyçåt
    Knight

Wed 03 Dec, 2008 11:12 pm

• Thats why most of us custom built buddy :)
    Attachments
    Hellstorm.jpg
    Hellstorm.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
    {§ÎR}Wéåpøñ-X
    Knight

Thu 04 Dec, 2008 11:30 am

• Note: This isn't my computer. I also have custom built the gamer Im using now.

Mines a 64k 3800 ( running single cpu (( damn socket 939, duel cpu for it is freaking spendy )) 2 gigs of RAM and a PCIe 8600 GTS 256 Vcard ). Not bad for less then 400 into it. I will, eventually get the duel cpu for it when demand's super low.

Now, I have a question about SATA harddrives. I was sucessful on installing XP for them but I dont know much about SATA drives, just the IDE ones. My question is, is it possible to make the SATA drive a slave ( damn thing has no jumpers ) while using the IDE as master?

I want to wipe the SATA drive clean. Everything on the HP works cept the onboard LAN and sound ( which doesn't matter since they had a better soundcard ).

{§ÎR}stråyçåt
    Knight

Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:14 pm

• You can make a sata drive a slave drive. All you have to do is make that in the boot sequence in the bios the IDE controller is the first bootable device or it should give you the option to select a drive you want to boot up too. Generally speaking IDE device are slower devices with a max transfer rate of 133 mb/s while sata can do 300 gb/s but of course that depends on the motherboard too. Are you having problems trying to load xp on the sata drive? Just curious...
    :)
    {§ÎR}Wéåpøñ-X

BTW
    Which HP model are you working on. Maybe I can locate the drivers for you. I am pretty persistent when it comes looking for drivers..
    ;)
    {§ÎR}Wéåpøñ-X
    Knight

Fri 05 Dec, 2008 3:51 pm

• Yes I was. With Vista being the OEM OS, it refused to let me load XP onto it saying it was an older OS then Vista.

As fas as the drivers go, I managed to get most of them. the problem is, I put XP pro 32 on it, but its a 64K system sooooo, all the drivers I got from HP wouldn't install because of the OS.

fun, fun, fun.....

{§ÎR}stråyçåt
    Knight

Fri 05 Dec, 2008 7:41 pm

Fri 05 Dec, 2008 7:57 pm

Sat 06 Dec, 2008 11:30 am

• I out-smarted it. I did as you said, changed the boot order and the SATA became da slave. Right click and format, its gone ;)

I cant thank you guys enough for the help with this. :)

{§ÎR}stråyçåt
    Knight

Sat 06 Dec, 2008 1:59 pm

Sat 27 Jun, 2009 3:21 pm

• [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExeyrNZwzwQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

thought you might find this funny...
    {§ÎR}Wéåpøñ-X
    Knight

Return to Hardware/Software

Information